Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thanks for a great Thanksgiving!

Coming from Denmark Thanksgiving is not a known celebration for me or for any Europeans. But the 28th November we celebrated the American Thanksgiving thanks to our enthusiastic Americans! This was my first Thanksgiving ever and it was going to be in the jungle, well why not?! I was so excited to be on duty with the experts. That stormy rainy morning I was up with Dionthé making apple fritters stuffed with apple saucy goodness for breakfast with scrambled eggs too. Best breakfast ever! 

Staff and volunteers enjoy a very big breakfast!

Due to the fact it was raining heavily and very stormy too the surveys were cancelled, so the whole Jalova family stayed in the kitchen with us. Duty team, Dionthé, Alex and I cooked and we cooked A LOT! With the help of Ryan too we made mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top, wild rice, cranberry sauce, stuffing, gravy… and the turkey?? This was my task and I understood it’s the most important role. NO pressure! Since I couldn’t get a Great Tinamou or a Great Curassow for the meal I made lentil burgers with a lot of chicken stock and shaped them like turkey legs. Success! Looked like huge nuggets though. 

The amazing Thanksgiving team looking proud with their delicious spread of food

Everyone ate all day and ate till it hurt. For desert we had real pumpkin pie for brief done perfectly with the jungle oven. Dionthé also made chocolate fudge and chocolate marshmallow fudge after dinner. SUGAR OVERLOAD but sooo good! Best food day ever! Thank you for a wonderful filling day Jalova!

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: