Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Love-Love Relationship with GVI Costa Rica Part II

Richard Phillips was with us for nine months in 2008 before returning to the UK. He's back again - this time on staff! With an ever-happy demeanor and a wealth of experience under his belt, let's hear from him in his own words about his time with us last year:

Why did you apply for the internship with us?

I initially applied for the internship on the expedition with GVI Costa Rica because I had had the most amazing time of my life and wanted to carry on my experiences further. I felt that the work done on the expedition was of great importance and really was making a difference in the area. Therefore, by staying longer I thought I would be able to make a greater and even more significant contribution by becoming an intern.
How did you find it?

Having more responsibility on surveys made them more rewarding and by participating in the training I could give more back. Being given this amount of responsibility was incredibly rewarding, as it showed that the other staff members had trust in my ability and knowledge. But above all else I continued to have a great time performing work that I loved doing in one of the most amazing environments.
Your reflection on what you got out of it?

When I left university I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do and so came to do something I had an interest in. By the time I left I knew that I wanted to work in conservation and the environment in some capacity. But I had also developed as a person. I became more sure of myself, leading surveys and training built up my people skills and my confidence. However, most of all I have memories that will last forever and also have met so many amazing people.
Read more like this

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: